Contact us
Search

How can I fix errors in the character encoding of Outlook business cards?

How can I fix errors in the character encoding of Outlook business cards?

When importing business cards from the CRM in Outlook, there is often a problem with character encoding. You see special characters shown incorrectly, e.g. öäü

The reason for this is the character encoding for vCards (business card files) set with Outlook. To resolve the problem, you can set the character encoding in your Outlook options. Depending on the version of Outlook, you can access the options via main navigation. In the new Outlook versions (for example, from 2010), you can access the options via the File tab.

In Advanced section, you will find the International Options where you can set the coding more precisely. In the selection box, set Unicode (UTF-8). The term "coding outgoing messages" is misleading in Outlook because it also affects incoming messages.

Thus the character coding problems should be fixed during the import of business cards from the CRM. The redirects and special characters should be displayed correctly now.